Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Getting ready to pack

Oh my, I do this every time.  I make my list, pull out every thing on the list and stack it on the bed. Well, as always, I have a stack that would choke a cow. OK, lets go at this again kiddo. Remember, you have never heard anyone say "I packed to little for this trip".

Since we are going to be gone about 6/7 weeks, I'm trying to mix and match as much as possible. I'm taking black and tan pants (slacks), was two of each, now think one each will be fine, no, maybe three in total. That make one on me, one dirty, one clean. Now let's see about tops. I have three sets of those flimsy over jackets with matching tee's so I'll take those. I can use the jacket parts with the basic black dress I found on sale at Cold Water Creek.  It is a fabric that can be all rolled up and still look good as new. I fact, I'm only taking things this time that I can wash out in the hotel sink and overnight dry without ironing. Finally got some sense.

Sleep ware.  UMMMM. We are getting a sleeper on the train back across country, but some don't have toilets so one has to walk to the end of the car. Same with the Alaska ferry on the way back, so I better have something that can be seen in public. Gave it some thought, and PJ's would probably be the best, which I hate. Ok, PJ's it is for the train and ferry, and a nightie for every place else.

Shoes. Geez, what a mess. I need an extra bag just for those. No way, one bag is all I'm taking. I mean it.
Lets see, I think I have it down to, black dress shoes, nice flats for slacks, walking shoes, and slippers. No, can do with out the slippers. Will take a pair of woolly socks instead. What's let are tennies and sandals of various colors to match tops. Of course ....... can't leave those behind. Oh yes I can. I have something that is called One Sole. It's shoes that have a bottom that can have different tops snapped on and off.  Makes one pair of shoes into as many as needed. I got five different tops, so I can have my dress shoes and flats with my matching colors, too, all for the space of one pair of shoes in the suitcase. Another smart thing I've learned this last year.

Undies and socks don't take up much room, but what about all that makeup, hair products, and "personals"?  Dump most of it. How many times have I taken three shades of eye shadow and lipsticks and ended up using the same one because it was handy? Ok, only one of each this time. Same with hair stuff.  A small bottle, and I mean small none of the Costco size, of my favorite shampoo and conditioner and a small hair brush is plenty. If we are invited to visit the White House I can have my hair done at a shop. OK, that's done.

What's left to think about. Jewelry.  Must have jewelry.  Same thing applies. No more extra earrings. I'll pick two pair that will match with everything. Thats it. No more. Yaaaaa, but what about the blue pair I love?  Well, we'll see.

That leaves outer ware. We have no idea what the weather will be like on the East Coast in September/October. We  think in the mid 50's, which is what it is here in Alaska, so we will both take our lined windbreakers and hope for the best. We can carry them, so no need to pack.

That does it for me. Hubby takes care of his own and if he packs anything that needs ironing along the way, he's out of luck.

Now to put in the suitcase. Long ago I learned that if I put my clothes in those plastic travel bags I could pack more stuff. Not only that, but when the airport people go into my bags, my stuff is not all jumbled up. I also like the fact that I can put outfits together and only unpack what I'm going to ware that day. Works really good if one is only going to stay a day or two in the same place, as we will be doing this trip.

Besides, if we need anything along the way, we can go to Walmarts.

So, back to work.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog so far.....packing light? are you?...hmmmmmm. And is the Mr. packing light also? or is he taking a backpack?

    Remember "all who wander are not lost"....or are they just on the train.

    Hugs,

    Sandee

    ReplyDelete